Friday, June 13, 2008

Middle of the World

This morning I went to the Mitad del Mundo...middle of the world, where the ecuatorial line runs through Ecuador and nearest to Quito. I saw some interesting things:

- An egg that can stand on its end.
- Water that goes down a pipe from a sink, without swirling.
- An Quechua kitchen and home.
- A guy dressed up in some crazy outfit and it was stinkin´ hot there.
- A bunch of animal heads on walls and doors.

I also learned that my Spanish must be improving because I understood a spanish speaking guide, fairly well...and let me tell you, the dude was like super-speedy-talking guy. I also just finished my first authentic Ecuadorian meal, chicken, rice, and beans. Not sure what else there was in it...and not sure that I want to know. :) I then bought more of my favorite bread and finally, an inexpensive but nice watch. I never know the hour here unless I am in my room at the house.

My climbing and hiking friends: I found out that there is a trolley up the mountain near the school and I will try to get up there in the next week. Pictures to be posted, claro!

So far I have been very safe but the more that I am out with teachers or talking with Sr. Gutierrez, the more I feel the need to be cautious with my backpack and myself. No incidents and I hope none to come, but the key is to be cautious with yourself and your stuff. I will post pictures later...

OH, I took pìctures today of the live Cuy animals. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sam, we were happy to hear you made it. It sounds like you are acclimating well. Have a great time and love the pictures. love, Susan and Ralph