Monday, June 16, 2008

Food, Folks and Fun

Yesterday afternoon, we watched the futbol (soccer) game with the brother in law of Sr. Gutierrez and Ecuador was the huge underdog. With some luck and perserverance they were winning 1-0, much to the delight of everyone with less than a minute to go. Well...actually, the game was over, but in soccer they add time for ïnteruptions¨and for this reason, there was still time left when Argentina kicked a tying GOOOOOAAAAAL! But in soccer, there are not tie-breakers apparently and th game ended. Which was really sucky because it was a huge deal to everyone here in Quito.

Unfortunately, I was in the room with 4 other men with an average age of 65 and all but myself and Sr. G were smoking....a lot....because of nerves. So last night my throat hurt and today as well. I just found some medicine in my emergency pack and I hope that it helps. It stinks to have a scratchy throat, but it has definitely reinforced my belief in not smoking.

Apparently, Rum and Coke is the drink of choice when watching a Soccer game with older guys. It was wierd because after lunch all of the girls went to another room to watch the television while the rest of us guys were in the living room. We watched the game on a 20-24 inch television, tube. What a different experience from home!

At any rate, I did not take my camera to the house, but it was fairly large, having three stories, a living room (with a huge painting of a winged, naked woman?), a dining room, a kitchen, at least 4 bedrooms, a tv room, a sitting/computer room, and two bathrooms on the main level. Pretty stinkin´huge. Keep in mind that the rooms are way smaller than most of ours in the US.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you're throat is feeling better today. A smoke filled room definitely contributed to your sore throat.....been there, never smoked for that same reason too. I am really enjoying your blog and looking forward to all the photos.